Sunday, September 18, 2011

KEMMERER WYOMING - SEPTEMBER 18, 2011

We only spent about 10 minutes in Kemmerer but saw a couple of things worth writing about. 

J.C. Penney got his start in the retail business in Kemmerer in 1902, in a partnership with Guy Johnson and Thomas Callahan and a store called The Golden Rule.  In 1907 Johnson and Callahan wanted out so Penney bought out there interest and moved his offices to Salt Lake City Utah to be closer to banks and railroads.  In 1913 he established the J.C. Penney Company name and consolidated all his stores under this name.

 
This is the first store or 'mother store' originally called The Golden Rule.

As we waited to cross the street I looked at the instructions on the sign and it said "to cross push button".  I looked for the button to push to get a 'walk' light but there wasn't any button.  I told Jane I wished I had one of those big red EASY buttons from Staples to put on the pole.


Jane walked around the other side of the pole and said, here's the button!


Someone had used double stick tape to attach a red shirt button to the sign.  Someone saw an opportunity to have a little fun, and took it.  I love it!